Subject: Re: Files Via Email & Usenet
From: Paul Reece <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: 14 Sep 93 16:04:06 GMT+10

> > Fair enough, but don't flame people in the process... That's not going to fix
> > anything - What was that old saying?? - "Two wrongs don't make a right"
>
> I didn't flame him.  Had I flamed him, you would have known...

Would I?????

> *I* sure didn't want those files in MY personal account.  Same goes for me,
> so why DID *I* get them?  (More about that later.)
>
> > There is ABSOLUTELY NO LAW that tells us that we can't send programs via Email
>
> There is with Usenet.  Which a lot of local sites in Canada get these feeds
> through.

Sorry, but I think that you are confused:

Internet is what it is called.
Usenet is the internet news system!!!!

You just use UUCP (Which doesn't stand for Usenet!!)
Think about it:- If there is a rule/law that says that you can't send files
via email, would you please direct me to the relevant RFC or document....

> > The internet is a democracy, not a dictatorship.  I will continue to send
> > files over email... It doesn't hurt anyone!!
>
> I'm not talking about internet am I?

Yes you are.  The file was sent onto the internet.

> > Here we go again....  I'm sure that admins have more things to worry about
> > than the problems of one person...  WHY DON'T YOU JUST FORGET THE WHOLE THING?
>
> I can't.  I never can.  Reason being.  I didn't WANT those files, I didn't
> CARE for them.  I didn't want to go through the BS that day to read my mail.

So??  Forgive and forget I say - Acting like you are acting won't help
anything...

> > Thats the way that HITLER would want the internet to be.
> >
> > Well, if you don't like things like this, the why don't you leave the list???
> > I don't think that many others were worried by the problem at all... and
> > anyway, if you are not meant to send files over mail, why do so many programs
> > support it???
>
> I joined this list because it was a DISCUSSION list.  Not a FILE list.  Was
> I wrong?

Discussion....  Didn't you realise that people WANTED people to send programs
to the list???

> > I have to agree totally with Mike.  You were far too hard on Scott....  Also,
> > you must think about those people whom don't have internet access at all, only
> > email......
>
> Most of those people who DON'T have internet access have Usenet access, where
> mail transfers aren't generally allowed, due to small systems along the way.
> (Like local private ones.)

THAT IS UUCP!!!

> > IMHO there should be an optional list that you can subscribe to that people
> > can send programs to.. OR an FTP site for AMOS programs ONLY....
>
> An excellent idea.  But still, those files on a said list (Say Amos Files),
> should make it to an FTP site.  [Because countless others could benefit from
> them being there.  (Why be list selfish.)]

> > Oh, and Alex, did you end up looking at Scott's programs???
>
> Ah, no.  It had to be nuked before I could read any of my mail.  It caused
> the temp drive to fill up when I tried to read my mail.  Had to copy the entire
> mail file over to the other drive, nuke the large one and move it back, so I
> could read the REST of my mail.  That message hit the bit basket before it
> saw the light of day.

Ok.

Oh, and who was it in the CC field that you sent this to???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Reece                                  [email-masked]
                                         [email-masked]
Student & Network Assistant (UNIX)              [email-masked]
Claremont College, Tasmania, Australia.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---AMIGA 500 - 2 MB RAM - 2 DRIVES - KICKSTART 2.05 & 1.3 - ONLY AMIGA!!---
---------------------------------------------------------------------------